About Us

We are a specialist business with a reputation for robust technology, data capture, analysis and reporting that assists companies in the extraction and materials handling sectors to improve the safety, compliance and performance of their operations.

From mines and quarries to warehouses, Davis Derby is protecting people and optimising plant in potentially hazardous environments.

 

The Davis Derby Timeline

1843

John Davis, the descendent of an extensive family of opticians and instrument makers, opens his own business in Irongate Derby.

1873

Henry Davis succeeded on his father’s death and opened workshops in the adjacent Amen Alley next to the cathedral placing more emphasis on mining instruments and miners’ lamps.

1889

Electrical lighting was installed in the workshops and also provided to other subscribers in central Derby together with electric bells for mining and domestic applications.

1910

Henry Davis remained as Chairman whilst appointing his son Wilfred Henry Davis as Managing Director of John Davis and Son (Derby) Limited who over oversaw the substantial growth in sales of signalling and electrical controls serving the U.K’s burgeoning coalmining industry.

1953

Henry's son, Wilfred Bruce Davis was appointed Managing Director although it seems that his interest was more directed more towards farming resulting in the purchase of the company in 1962 by the Standard Industrial Group.

1966

The company relocates to a larger purpose built factory in Alfreton Road Derby based on further growth of sales to the rapidly expanding Chinese and Indian coalmining sectors.

1967

The company is acquired by the publically quoted S Pearson & Son and became a subsidiary of what was ultimately the Doulton Engineering Group.

1987

The Davis Derby business was acquired by the Senior Engineering Group.

1993

Following the subsequent contraction of the UK coalmining industry, the Davis business was purchased by Communication & Control Engineering Co. Ltd a similar company located in Nottinghamshire, and was consolidated in premises at Chequers Lane under the name of Derby Davis Derby Ltd. The business was then stabilised with the development and sales of leading solid state technology in mine automation and controls that endures today.

1995

Following a diversification plan, the Trucklog business unit is established as a leading provider of fleet management technology focussing on safety, compliance and performance of forklift trucks.

2008

Building on the company’s export success, Davis Derby Siberia is established in the Kuzbass region underpinning further growth in sales and service of mine automation and controls to the privatised Russian coalmining industry.

2019

Davis Derby Ltd continues to enjoy the longest period of stable private ownership since the original Davis family and is now located in modern premises at Eagle Park, Alfreton Road, Derby.

The company continues as specialist business, protecting and enabling people and plant in potentially hazardous areas, including the extractive industries and materials handling sector in the home and overseas markets.